Date: 17th October 2015 at 9:20pm
Written by:

Morecambe faced AFC Wimbledon at the Cherry Red Records Stadium for what might be the last time on Saturday. This weekend marks the closing date for a campaign by Dons` supporters to return to the old Crazy Gang`s original home – Plough Lane, which is five miles away from Kingsmeadow and Cherry Red (wasn`t that a song by the Groundhogs, incidentally?…) Good luck to them – the way the football authorities allowed a team in Milton Keynes to steal the original club`s identity is nothing less then scandalous: in fact, it stinks. A return to their spiritual home would prove at least that although faceless individuals with loads of cash to splash around can steal your identity, they can`t take your heart and soul as well and I personally take my hat off to all the good people at Wimbledon who have striven so hard to put the club back where it literally belongs.

The Dons were fourteenth in the League Two table before the match and Neal Ardley`s team have suffered the same patchy form as their opponents, who were two places better off and a point ahead of them when the game kicked-off at two. It started really well for the Dons when Lyle Taylor played-in Andy Barcham to score with a right-footed drive after just three minutes. But Morecambe equalised just two minutes later after Semi Ajayi fouled Shaun Miller in the penalty area – the same player picked himself up to beat James Shea from the spot to record his fifth goal in four games for the Shrimps. He took this total to six when he netted again from way outside the penalty area with a sublime shot after twelve minutes to turn the tie on its head. The game ebbed and flowed after this but Wimbledon`s scorer was taken off after receiving prolonged treatment on the pitch for what appeared to be a serious injury after thirty minutes. Throughout, however, man mountain Adebeyo Akinfenwa caused similar problems to the visitors` defence as he has done over the years as a Northampton and Dons` player. He was booked deep into injury time in the first half and following another foul by George Francom a minutes or so later, Morecambe went even further ahead. Jamie Devitt slung over the resulting free kick and Alan Goodall headed the ball high into the top corner of the Wimbledon net.

Francom redeemed himself three minutes into the second half to allow Akinfenwa to maintain his outstanding goal scoring record against the Shrimps with a sharp shot past Barry Roche. But with nearly eighty minutes played, Miller turned provider to play-in Tom Barkhuizen to blast the ball past Shea once more to restore the Lancashire club`s two-goal advantage. Miller went off straight after this to be replaced by Paul Mullin who put the icing on the Morecambe cake with an assured finish from within the penalty area into the corner of the net following a pass from Barkhuizen.

At the end of the game, it was a convincing win for the visitors: their seventh unbeaten game on the road in all competitions. This was not lost on the opposition Manager: “We knew Morecambe`s away record. We knew they are a counter-attacking team – they are probably better away from home.” This is true: if the Shrimps performed as brilliantly at the Globe Arena as they do away from it, they would have been in League One ages ago.

The loss pushed Wimbledon down to sixteenth place. Morecambe go up to tenth. Manager Jim Bentley would have been predictably `made up` after the game but he must be worried by his side`s apparent inability to turn home advantage into points in recent years. If he can sort this out, the future looks very bright indeed for one of the most free-scoring teams in the whole football league.
Ref: Trevor Kettle