Date: 7th March 2015 at 5:42pm
Written by:

Morecambe lived dangerously at Kenilworth Road on Saturday when, having lead 0-2 early on, they went on to concede two goals and then lose one man only to find Luke Wilkinson in the opposition ranks feeling generous enough to score a winner for them eight minutes from the end of the game when he deflected a cross from Kevin Ellison past his own goalkeeper.

Jack Redshaw – wasteful later as he fluffed chances when he could have passed to colleagues Ellison in the first instance and Jamie Devitt afterwards – opened the scoring for the visitors after 17 minutes with a sharp shot into the bottom corner of Elliot Justham`s net. The Shrimps went further ahead when Laurence Wilson scored one of his very occasional screamers with a volley into the top corner from long range after twenty-eight minutes. Redshaw could and probably should have increased Morecambe`s lead after 34 minutes but fired straight at the goalkeeper instead.
Town gave themselves some sort of hopes for the second half when Cameron McGeehan reduced the arrears in the 43rd minute with a well-placed header past Andreas Arestidou. Luton continued to apply the pressure in the second period but Redshaw again had a shot saved after an hour when strike partner Devitt was better placed. It got worse for the visitors when substitute Alex Lawless equalised for John Still`s fourth-placed side with a shot in the 74th minute after he reacted quickest to a header from Steve McNulty which had hit the Morecambe bar. And even worse when Ryan Edwards – booked in the 70th minute – was sent off for a foul on McGeehan just nine minutes later. It looked bad for the visitors until Wilkinson came to their rescue with just four minutes still scheduled to play.
Jim Bentley was delighted with the win and must take credit for the way his team continued to attack even when reduced to ten men. The win gives the Lancashire team their first victory of 2015 as well as the double over their Bedfordshire counterparts this season and keeps them in 12th position in League Two. The Eric Morecambe Trophy returned home with the team. As a result, John Still`s team dropped one place to fifth.
Ref: Carl Berry