Date: 20th October 2015 at 10:30pm
Written by:

Before Tuesday evening`s League Two game between Morecambe and Crawley Town, the teams had met eight times in all and the Shrimps had the slight edge, winning four to the Red Devils` three. Mark Yates`s side came into the fixture on the back of two home wins against Luton and high-flying Orient but were just eighteenth in the table following some indifferent performances at times this season. The same could be said of the hosts: if Jim Bentley`s team produced the same form at the Globe Arena as they have done sensationally away this term, they would be top of the table. So – following three straight away wins in all competitions – the question before the game was: could the Shrimps reverse the poor form which had led them to lose their last three home games in a row?

In a word: Yes.

The visitors` Gwion Edwards was booked for diving in the Morecambe penalty area during the first half but the Devils never once tested Barry Roche in the Shrimps` goal. In a game of few chances, Kevin Ellison opened the scoring just four minutes from half time with a close-range header after the visiting goalkeeper failed to deal with the ball properly. To be fair, this was only Darryl Flahavan`s second game in the Reds` net after Crawley`s regular custodian Freddie Woodman was called back to parent club Newcastle recently and the 36-year old – who was released by Bournemouth in the close season – was probably a little rusty. After sixty-four minutes, Kev turned provider when he fed the irrepressible Shaun Miller to score his seventh goal in five games with a shot from the centre of the penalty area. There was reason for a few jitters when Shamir Fenelon had a shot cleared off the Morecambe line by Andy Parish after seventy-five minutes and then Roche parried a shot from Mitch Hancox into the path of Rhys Murphy after 83 minutes, who made no mistake with a well-placed shot. Hancox became the villain of the piece for the visitors in injury time at the end of the game, though, when his foul on Aaron Wildig in the penalty area led to a spot kick which was converted by substitute Paul Mullin.

So Morecambe got a monkey off their backs by winning at home. The victory pushes them back into the Play-Off positions in seventh place. The loss leaves Town where they were before the game: eighteenth. Jim Bentley announced himself pleased with the result after the game but drew attention to the very small gate. Perhaps more people will be going through the turnstiles on Saturday when his team face Leyton Orient.
Ref: Darren Handley