Date: 6th December 2016 at 10:14pm
Written by:

Morecambe last played Scunthorpe United during 2013 and took just one of six available points at that time in the only two previous games they had previously contested. Since then, the Iron have been on a roller coaster ride to the Championship and then almost back again, helped by two of Morecambe`s better players at times in the shape of Garry Thompson and Mark Duffy, both of whom were poached directly from the Shrimps to underline the difference in stature and particularly buying power between the two clubs.

The Iron took control of Tuesday night`s Chekatrade Trophy game at Glanford Park right from the off and Sam Mantom scored after just three minutes, smashing the ball past reserve goalkeeper Danijel Nizic from the edge of the penalty area with a fierce left-footed half-volley. Five minutes later, Hakeeb Adelakun almost added a second when he spun in the Morecambe area and smashed a shot goalwards which Nizic did well to push against the crossbar and away to safety. The Shrimps` goalkeeper was forced into action again after a quarter of an hour when Richard Smallwood won the ball and set-up Duane Holmes to try his luck – on this occasion, the Shrimps` large Australian stopper saved comfortably. It wasn`t all United, though and Aaron Wildig played a clever ball towards Kevin Ellison which the Iron`s goalkeeper Joe Anyon did well to anticipate as the half progressed. The game went from end to end for the rest of the half although Nizic remained the busier of the two keepers until Anyon did well to retrieve the situation after losing control of the ball after 44 minutes: he managed to block twice with his legs as Cole Stockton bore down upon him before team-mate Charlie Goode was able to hack it away from the danger area. The Morecambe players collectively called for a free-kick and punishment for the goalkeeper at this point to no avail however as Stockton in particular seemed convinced that Anyon had actually used his hands to stop the ball outside his penalty area.

The visitors started to take control of the game as soon as the second half began. The outstanding Wildig set up Ellison early on to shoot narrowly wide and then dispossessed a Scunthorpe defender and fizzed in a tremendous shot which forced a fantastic one-handed save by Anyon within five minutes of the re-start. The Shrimps went on to force a succession of corners and Ryan Edwards finally converted one after 53 minutes with a bullet header which beat the Scunthorpe keeper all ends up. Three minutes later, however, the Iron could have re-taken the lead when substitute Neal Bishop headed the impressive Luke Williams` cross past Nizic only for Ellison to pop-up on the goal-line to clear it. Williams then tried his luck himself with a shot from all of 25 yards out after 64 minutes which was well saved by the big Aussie between the sticks. Morecambe substitute Lee Molyneux`s first contribution to the game was to force another tremendous save from Nizic`s opposite number with just four minutes scheduled to play. A draw at the end of the 90 minutes though was probably a fair reflection of play over all. So – after another scoreless four minutes of added time, the tie went to penalties.

United took and scored the first penalty courtesy of Josh Morris. Crucially for Morecambe, Peter Murphy`s first attempt for the visitors was saved by Anyon. Paddy Madden scored again for the Iron and Michael Rose also succeeded for the visitors with the fourth penalty. Kevin van Veen then scored again for Scunthorpe with an unstoppable shot into the top corner before Lee Molyneux managed to score despite slipping in his run-up. So, with the score 3-2 in favour of the hosts, Sam Manyon and then Paul Mullin scored again. Luke Williams then won the game for the Iron with the final kick of the match.They also took the £25,000 that went to the winners – money that the Shrimps could really do with in their current financial straits.

So now it`s back to the League and survival for Jim Bentley`s side after failure in all of this season`s cup competitions. At least they have made a decent fist of it in the Checkatrade Trophy though and it is no disgrace to lose to a team like the Iron.

Scunthorpe United: 13 Joe Anyon; 5 Murray Wallace; 7 Luke Williams; 9 Paddy Madden; 16 Hakeeb Adelakun; 17 Sam Mantom; 18 Richard Smallwood (10 Kevin van Veen 82 mins); 19 Duane Holmes (12 Neal Bishop 50 mins); 20 Charlie Goode; 22 Conor Townsend (11 Josh Morris 92 mins); 33 Jordan Clarke.

Subs not used: 1 Luke Daniels; 2 Scott Wiseman; 14 Tom Hopper; 34 Lewis Butroid; 26 Jamie Ness.

Morecambe: 12 Danijel Nizic; 3 Aaron McGowan; 5 Ryan Edwards (Y); 6 Dean Winnard; 8 Peter Murphy (C); 11 Kevin Ellison (18 Rhys Turner 72 mins); 14 Luke Conlan (10 Lee Molyneux 84 mins); 15 Aaron Wildig (7 Paul Mullin 78 mins); 14 Alex Whitmore; 23 Cole Stockton; 24 Michael Rose.

Subs not used: 1 Barry Roche; 2 Liam Wakefield; 4 Alex Kenyon; 19 Ntumba Massanka.
Ref: Darren Drysdale