Date: 7th October 2017 at 7:01pm
Written by:

Crawley arrived at the Globe Arena today level on ten points with hosts Morecambe. The Shrimps had won three and drawn two of their previous seven encounters and both sides were urgently looking for points to get them away from the bottom of the table.

On a wet and very windy day in north Lancashire, Morecambe opened the match quite brightly with Steven Old heading at visiting keeper Glen Morris from a corner which was awarded after good work by Mark Connolly to block an attempt from Vadaine Oliver after six minutes. Ten minutes later, the visitors had the best chance of the game so far as Jimmy Smith headed John Lelan`s cross from the right narrowly over the Shrimps` bar. Just after this, Max Muller gave the ball away and Jordan Roberts found himself with a clear run on goal but his shot was cleared by his namesake Adam for a corner. From this, the ball seemed to go straight into the net from Billy Clifford`s kick to give the visitors the softest of goals to put them ahead with just eighteen minutes on the clock. As the 67 visiting supporters who had made the long journey from West Sussex chanted “Harry Kewell`s Barmy Army!” en masse, Crawley started to dominate and Enzio Boldewijn made a dangerous run into the Morecambe half and unleashed a fierce strike which only just missed the target. Perhaps the key moment of the game arrived ten minutes from the end of the half. The assistant referee spotted an off-the-ball incident involving Kevin Ellison and Kev – no stranger either to trouble or winding-up the opposition throughout his career – was sent off. It was quite a feisty end to the first half with two visiting players being booked in quick suggestion following Ellison`s dismissal but the visitors from the South went into the dressing rooms at the break one goal up.

From the view of the ten men of Morecambe, there was not much to shout about in the second half. Joe McNerney did well to block an effort at the expense of a free-kick from which Old headed the ball down for Aaron Wildig to force a good save from Morris. Five minutes later in the seventieth minute, Morris did even better to save a thunderbolt from the same player low to his left. At the other end, though, Moussa Sanoh had a couple of good runs and close efforts and Connolly might have scored after almost an hour if he had not collided with team-mate Joe McNerney. But Crawley seemed to be content to hold onto their advantage and managed to fight a rearguard action right until the end. The result shoved the visitors into eighteenth position in League Two – Morecambe, meanwhile, remain becalmed in 21st position.

Morecambe: 1 Barry Roche; 17 Mitchell Lund (4 Alex Kenyon 65 mins); 22 Max Muller; 5 Steven Old; 3 Patrick Brough; 8 Andy Fleming; 24 Michael Rose (C) (2 Aaron McGowan 75 minutes); 10 Adam Campbell (Y) (18 Rhys Turner 66 mins);15 Aaron Wildig; 11 Kevin Ellison (R); 9 Vadaine Oliver.

Subs Not Used: 12 Danijel Nizic; 16 Sam Lavelle; 19 Reece Deakin; 21 Elliot Osborne.

Substitutes not used: 20 Niall Maher; 3 Patrick Brough; 26 Steve Yawson; 27 Luke Jordan.

Crawley: 1 Glen Morris; 2 Lewis Young (5 Joe McNerney (Y) 11 minutes); 22 Josh Lelan; 6 Mark Connolly; 19 Cedric Evina; 8 Jimmy Smith (C); 21 Dannie Bulman (4 Josh Payne 35 mins); 7 Enzio Boldewijn; 18 Billy Clifford (26 Ibrahim Meite 71 mins); 27 Moussa Sanoh (Y); 11 Jordan Roberts (Y).

Subs Not Used: 12 Mersin; 17 Djalo; 24 Lewis; 28 Camara.
Ref: Anthony Backhouse