Date: 24th January 2015 at 5:20pm
Written by:

The first thing Morecambe needed to do at Home Park on Saturday was make sure that they didn`t get hammered as they did last season, when the Pilgrims won 5-0. The second thing they needed to do was keep a better hold on Lewis Allesandra than they managed to last time: the former Shrimps` forward nabbed a brace on that occasion. At the end of forty-five minutes, Jim Bentley`s side had accomplished both tasks admirably – in fact, they had probably been marginally the better team throughout having enjoyed the best chances with home keeper Luke McCormick excelling himself in denying Padraig Amond after 16 minutes and then 38 minutes, keeping out a header and a shot respectively.

It all changed, however, after two and a half minutes of extra time. Andy Parrish made a complete hash of a Morecambe free kick, Plymouth broke away quickly on the break and Reuben Reid found himself in a position to be able to take the ball round Andreas Arestidou and slide the ball into the empty net to give John Sheridan`s side a surprise lead.

Morecambe continued to play in the second period much as they had done earlier and it was no surprise when they equalised after fifty-one minutes. Jamie Devitt`s corner was headed on by veteran Stewart Drummond to the Shrimps` diminutive number seven and that man – Jack Redshaw – headed the ball past the injured McCormick`s replacement James Bittner. Two minutes later, Jack the Lad had another good chance but Bittner did well to keep his shot out. The game was bad tempered at times after this but Morecambe continued to have the better chances. The best of these came in the 88th minute when substitute Kevin Ellison was played-in to have a direct run on the Pilgrims` goal. Uncharacteristically, however, Big Kev wasted the chance completely and the game ended up a draw – the Shrimps` fourth out of four this year. The point keeps them in eleventh position in League Two; Plymouth, meanwhile, drop to tenth just three points ahead of their visitors.