Date: 19th April 2016 at 9:55pm
Written by:

Morecambe`s appalling form in League Two since the new year took a turn for the worst against Cambridge United on Tuesday night when they went down to a record defeat which could have been even worse. Aaron McGowan gave away a penalty for a foul on Harrison Dunk after just five minutes and U`s Captain Luke Berry made no mistake from the spot. Dunk then scored himself after seventeen minutes with a shot from a difficult angle straight up into the top corner of the net before showing he could literally use his head as well after twenty-six minutes, when he nodded Darnell Furlong`s cross past Keiran O`Hara in the Shrimps` net to make it three-nil. A fourth goal arrived just three minutes later when Ben Williamson scored with a shot from close range. The massacre turned into a rout in injury time at the end of the first half when Mark Roberts scored United`s fifth with another header. Michael Appleton`s team continued to press throughout the second half and had an effort from Berry deflected against the post after fifty minutes and then nearly scored again after 57 minutes when O`Hara did well to save Ben Williamson`s flick. But just three minutes later, Zeli Ismail scored for the first time for the U`s with a shot into the bottom corner of the goal to make it six-nil. It could have been even worse for the visitors though: O`Hara worked wonders to push a fierce strike from Ismail against the crossbar after 64 minutes. But it did finally get even more dire from Morecambe`s point of view in the third minute of injury time: Man of the Match Berry was hauled-down in the penalty area and ended the game as he began it: with another goal from the spot.

The only people to leave the Abbey Stadium with any credit and head back towards Lancashire after the game were the 46 hardy souls who made the long trip southwards from Morecambe and were warmly applauded by the home crowd for their support of a team which was comprehensively and deservedly thrashed to give United their largest League win ever and the Shrimps their worst defeat. Their pathetic display meant a drop by one place to twentieth in the League; Cambridge moved up to ninth.
Ref: James Adcock