Date: 5th September 2015 at 7:14pm
Written by:

Saturday`s clash at Huish Park marked the first time Yeovil and Morecambe had faced each other in the Football League. In the thirteen previous matches they had played – mostly in the Conference – the Shrimps had the better of things initially, winning three and drawing one of their first four meetings. Since then, however, they had drawn just three of their subsequent nine contests, losing the other six. The Glovers started Saturday`s game in twenty-first place in the table, eleven positions lower in League Two than their visitors and with few signs that the rot Paul Sturrock has been employed to stop – the team has been relegated in both two previous seasons – has improved at all: the Somerset club had lost four of the five league games they have played so far and were very uncomfortably perched just two positions above the Drop Zone.

It couldn`t have started more badly for the visitors: from Jamie Devitt`s attempt on goal after twenty seconds, Yeovil swept up the pitch, Jack Compton slung the ball over and Harry Cornick steered the ball past Barry Roche from close in with his right foot. One of the key moments of the game arrived after 26 minutes when Shaun Jeffers was shown a straight red card for a foul on Aaron McGowan. The ten men of the home team continued to press, however and Omar Sowunmi increased their lead just before the half hour with a header from Nathan Smith`s cross. The Glovers` Manager took the opportunity of celebrations of this goal to give the referee a piece of his mind. Mr Kinseley responded by sending Sturrock to the stands. With ten men against them and their Manager also sent-off, the Shrimps must have thought that this was the ideal time for a fight-back. But by half-time, there was little sign of it: they went in 2-0 down.

After ten minutes of the second period, Jim Bentley stated his intention to chase the game when he took off defender Adam Dugdale and replaced him with striker Paul Mullin. And the substitute duly delivered the pass to Aaron Wildig with just over an hour played from which the midfielder scored with a tremendous shot into the top corner of Artur Krysiak`s net. With seventy minutes played, Lawrence Wilson crossed for Andy Fleming to equalise with a shot into the top corner of the net. Five minutes later, Kevin Ellison was introduced to replace Shaun Miller. He conceded a corner to Yeovil in the eighty-third minute. From this, though, the Shrimps raced up the pitch and Wildig played-in Lee Molyneux to put the visitors ahead with a shot right across the penalty area low into the net. And Kev finished off the scoring himself in injury time when he somehow managed to head the ball home from a sitting position in the penalty area.

For Morecambe, this was tremendous display which propelled them into the Play-Off positions in fifth place. For Yeovil, it was yet another bad loss from a winning position: they found themselves just one place above the very bottom of the Football League at the end of the game.
Ref: Nick Kinseley.